Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

1950s Separates · Winter Sunset


Did anyone else get snow this weekend??  I'm reveling in the beauty of it all! :-)

It's kind of funny how my style changes though the seasons of the year!  I usually can't stand blouses and skirts (I hate how they shift around- give me a secure dress that doesn't need constant adjusting any day!), however I tend to be drawn towards them in the winter.

I'm slowly trying to build up a collection of blouses to wear with my sweaters, since my previous T-shirt default is just not cutting it for the vintage vibe. ;-)  This blouse was a quick project this fall, and has proved to be invaluable!  I really don't know how I got along without it!


Simplicity 2154 was the perfect candidate when I had this small piece of linen tucked away for a blouse.  I only had about 3/4 yd of this fabric, but it was just barely enough for this sleeveless blouse- in fact, it was such a close fit that I didn't even have enough for bias binding or collar facings!  Whew!

I didn't have enough fabric to cut the bow on the bias as instructed, but so far the straight-grain bow has behaved well enough. :-)  This was yet another back neck keyhole closure!  I've been making a habit of doing those lately, and have been rather pleased with them. :-)  They are the perfect way to use up the fun-yet-loner buttons I've accumulated!


Isn't this a cute little brooch?  We picked it up recently, and I love the way it complements the colors of this outfit. :-)

(Astute readers might notice that it is being worn on different sides of the collar in different shots.  Well, let's just say that our continuity-checking wasn't quite up to snuff during the 2 days we did this shoot.... ;-))



My new favorite shoes.

OK, so I have so many "favorite shoes" that the word favorite is starting to lose any value.... But really, these are my favorite!

For now. ;-)

I was so thrilled when mom found these discontinued Miss L Fire shoes- and in my size!  The cuffs can flip up to keep the ankles extra cozy, but even like this they're great! :-)


This cashmere sweater was a re-styling project a few years ago.  It is so soft and cozy and has been a great favorite!  I absolutely love this color of pink!  And the rhinestone buttons are perfect. :-)


The wool skirt was a quickie project for a "Briar Rose" costume years ago, but has turned into a staple!  It's super simple- double box pleats at each side and the centers- but goes so well with lots of my sweaters. :-)

I love how the colors of this outfit match the grey/white of snowy winter with the orange-pink of winter sunsets!  Bonus for our photoshoot was that we waited until last light to capture this outfit and the colors are mirrored in the landscape! ;-)

· Pictures by Kathryn ·

22 comments:

  1. Oh my. This is almost my favorite outfit of yours ever so far!! It's so beautiful!! I love the skirt, the blouse, the sweater, everything. And those shoes. Oh. My. Goodness.
    I can relate to the blouse problem. I will definitely check out the pattern you mentioned.
    Beautiful outfit, Lily!! :) Inspirational as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ohing and ahing over this outfit right now! It's really gorgeous! I love the fifties blouse, sweater and skirt look, and the colors are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those colors are so wonderful! I love grey & pink together.(And this is an especially nice shade of pink.) I really love that skirt! I was Alice for Halloween one year. I wore the skirt I made for that costume for years too. (Why, oh why did I get rid of it?) It was just cotton, but very wearable. :)
    Oh, how I love those shoes! I'll been trolling eBay for Miss L Fire shoes ever since you first mentioned them on here. I may or may not have already bought myself two pairs (for pretty good deals!) One pair is strictly summer & the other will work from Spring to Autumn. Hmmm...might just have to hunt down some wintry ones! :} They had some really cute boots on sale on the Miss L Fire shop... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is such a pretty outfit! The hat and blouse are probably my favorite parts.
    Beautiful look, and I love your hair too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything about your outfit looks cosy and perfect for the snow! I now must try that blouse pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable outfit, I love the grey with the pink and those shoes are too cute! I currently have zero pairs of snow appropriate shoes, which means my toes are frozen a lot of the time, I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This outfit is adorable! And I completely understand the need for more blouses for sweaters! I need to get back to my sewing machine!

    Those shoes are TO DIE FOR! Miss L Fire does produce some fab designs, and you remind me to check Ebay every so often for those fabulous, but discontinued designs.

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those shoes are fantastic! I just want to steal them right off your feet! They look so cozy and warm. :) Very cute outfit.

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hat, the blouse, the cardigan, the skirt, the shoes, the brooch! Oh my! Pure outfit perfection! I adore this color combination as well ~ dusty rose and grey just look so chic and elegant paired together. Very stunning outfit, and lovely, lovely photographic styling to set it off. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a wonderful outfit. I can't get over how amazing those shoes are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh! Its just to sweet to look at! It reminds me very much of the Angelina Ballerina illustrated story books we three used to pour over every day. The color scheme is so soft, and of course those Miss L Fires are the icing on the cake! Gorgeous my dear! :)

    This made my day!

    Jessica, the eldest sister & singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! And you're right- it is very reminiscent of Angelina Ballerina! I adored those books as a little girl so now this outfit will have even better connotations. ;-)

      Delete
  12. I love this outfit! It's so pulled together. I feel like the shoes (so awesome) and the brooch are excellent finishing touches. I just recently discovered your blog (via a complimentary post on GOMI, where I lurk) and I must say, your finished pieces are super impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's so nice to hear from new readers- I hope you stop and stay a while! :-)

      Delete
  13. These photos [and your outfit] are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love everything about this outfit and these photos! So pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a gorgeous outfit, lovely shapes and colours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love to know about your hat! Its gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caitlin! The hat is vintage and one of my favorites this year, so I'm sure it will get featured in another blog post soon. :-)

      Delete
  17. Thank you all so much for your sweet comments! You all made my day(s)!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I almost never comment on blogger posts, but I just have to tell you how immensely impressed I am by all of your stuff! I saw your blog for the first time this evening. I was amazed by how you just morph into whatever era you're doing ;). most of my sewing endeavors have been based in the 40's but you make me want to broaden my horizons. by the way these shoes are just divine! :-)

    that's all, bravo and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com